Sunday, June 6, 2010

Something for me... Sew what?!!


I haven't put this button up until now, because I wasn't sure I was going to be able to meet the deadline for the challenge. I did it! (Okay, just barely; but, what else is new?)

I will be needing more long skirts next school year (more on that later), and I wanted to be sure I made them--I am trying to stay true to my Wardrobe Refashion commitment and I don't have the money to spend on new clothes, since I won't have a paycheck next month. So.... here's my first "new" skirt:


 I started by cutting the inseam out of my comfiest pair of jeans. After I started cutting, I freaked out a little, thinking I don't have a pattern... I don't know what I'm doing... I don't even have a real plan yet...  I am so glad it all turned out okay, or I would be down a pair of good jeans.
 Next, I started cutting up a cotton/poly bedspread that my grandmother gave me (along with the trundle bed that it has been living on for the last 30+  years), to fill in the middle of my soon-to-be skirt. It was all very trial and error. The crotch parts were difficult to sew properly. I'm sure there is a good method for that, and I hope to figure it out some day... I didn't alter the hem of the jeans--just matched the bedspread fabric to go along with it. I am realising that it will drag far too much, so I will be rehemming in the near future.

As far as the Sew What?!! sew-along goes, it is a joint effort between The Sewing Dork and her Canadian friend. I am a little unclear on the rules, so I'm not sure how well I did this week... I think I was supposed to make a skirt out of denim and one other fabric. I don't know what next week's challenge is going to be, but I am going to try to continue using bits of this bedspread throughout the month. We'll see if that works out.

3 comments:

  1. Well done for being brave! Worked out nicely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Believe me, there are no rules. Just create and show off!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Psst, I bragged about your skirt in my latest post.

    ReplyDelete