Sunday, April 5, 2009

Easter Eggs, the way Mother Nature intended



I've been experimenting with natural dyes for Easter Eggs. The biggest difference between these dyes and the artificial ones that come in a box is that the natural dyes require quite a bit more time, several minutes, to get a good color. Plus, I was using brown eggs, so that made it even more of a challenge to notice a color change! These are the three colors we had the most success with:

Pinkish--I started by soaking beet skins in a couple tablespoons of vinegar overnight. The next morning, I took out the skins and added about 1/2 cup of water. This was uber-convenient, because I was making beets and greens for dinner last night while prepping for coloring eggs today!
This was the most vibrant dye.
**I tried throwing some beet skins in with the eggs when I hard-boiled them. We used both brown and white eggs, and it didn't do a thing.

Orange/Yellow--I love cooking with turmeric because of it's beautiful color. It is also beautiful on egg shells! Same method as for coffee grounds: boil 1 tablespoon of ground tumeric in 2 cups for about 15 minutes. Let water cool completely and add a couple tablespoons of vinegar to each 3/4 cup of liquid.

Blueish--Boil about 1 cup of frozen blueberries in 2 cups water for 15 minutes. Let water cool completely and add a couple tablespoons of vinegar to each 3/4 cup of liquid.

In the pictures, the eggs that are super-dark were hard boiled with a couple scoops of coffee in the water. Anastasia didn't want to do a coffee dye dip, so we didn't. But, those eggs that were hard-boiled with coffee and then dyed in either the beet or blueberry dye are a really neat earthy color.

If I had spinach, I would've attempted green eggs. But, I only wanted to use what I already had in the house, so no green eggs this year. Check back in 2010 for more colors!

No comments:

Post a Comment