Saturday, April 4, 2009

Beets & Greens

My colleague, Becky, shared this recipe with me, after gasping in horror when I was munching on beets for lunch one day and told her that I had composted the greens because I didn't know how to cook them. I understand now why she gasped. Beet greens are good and so simple to cook. Here's how we do it:

Slice the skin off your beets (really, not as big a deal as I thought it would be)and then slice the beets themselves. Put these in the bottom of a pot. Cover the beets with the green leaves (I discarded the stems... hoping I don't get in trouble for that!) and a tiny sprinkling of sea salt. Add a small amount of water (1/4 cup?) so the greens don't burn toward the end of cooking. Cover the pot and cook on low heat for 45 - 60 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment