Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Cornbread

I found this recipe near the bulk cornmeal bin at WinCo. I really like it. There is no oil and just a touch of sweetness...

1 c. flour
1 c. cornmeal
1/4 c. sugar
1 tsp. baking soda
3/4 tsp. salt (I use just a little shake or none at all)
1 c. plain yogurt
2 eggs, beaten

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Lightly grease an 8x8 inch baking pan (I disagree with this. For cornbread to be worth eating, you must cook it in an iron skillet! If you don't have one, go to an antique store or estate sale and pick one up for about $20.). Mix flour, cornmeal, sugar, soda, and salt in a large bowl. Stir in yogurt and eggs. Stir only until well blended. Pour batter into skillet. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, until lightly golden.

1 comment:

  1. Tave, I make the best corn bread. Well it is a modification erally, which your recipe seems to leave out. You make your cornbread however you choose, but add in chopped onion, bell pepper, and cheddar cheese. SOOOO delicious. I have HAD cornbread with egg in it as well, but I don't really miss it without it, nor do I know how to get small whisps of scrambled egg into cornbread.

    ReplyDelete