Monday, January 3, 2011

Baby, it's cold outside!

We're in a bit of a cold-snap here. Brrr! No better time to work on some of the felted wool jumpers I've had in mind, inspired by one of my students. Her mother made her a few of these that started as dresses when she was toddling, and as she's grown have become long shirts. I found some great wool/blend sweaters at a thrift store a few weeks ago and felted them immediately. One was actually a woman's vest, which felted enough that I didn't have to do any cutting and sewing at all. The others were womens' sweaters, which felted just right, so that I only had to cut off the sleeves and shape the arm and neck holes to fit just right. The sleeves could then be used to make wrist warmers.

I was so pleased to find this sparkly green sweater, which made a perfect Christmas gift for my little munchkin. There are still enough sleeve bits left that I can make some sparkly wrist warmers for myself, too! I made some a while back. It is really easy to do. If you're going to make the vest, you might as well make the wrist warmers to match, too. Don't you think? Give it a try and let me know how it goes!

Update: Here is the only "action" photo I have so far. I didn't realise she'd put the vest on backwards until the night was nearly over... it was still cute! Here, she and her cousin are going camping in my parents' living room.
I'll add more vest photos as I get them. There is a really sweet purple vest...

No comments:

Post a Comment