Saturday, May 23, 2009

Wardrobe Refashion: Old Blouse = New Dress

I am not the first person to do this, I know. I borrowed a few different ideas to make this dress. I liked amazing mae's dress from one of daddy's shirts, only I had one of my own old blouses that I couldn't bare to get rid of, though I couldn't stand to wear it either (I don't like the stiffness of blouses). It has this really cool embroidery along the line of buttons and around the cuffs, so I bought Simplicity pattern #2907, intending to make cool sleeves with the shirt's cuffs.... Didn't work out that way. But, I did end up using the cuffs for pockets.
Because we were attending a Mad Hatter, fancy tea party in this dress, I wanted to make it poofy somehow... I came across Pink Picket Fence's tulle skirt and thought, that will work... Then, I saw The Polka Dot Chair's two layer twirly skirt and thought, that will work, too...

And this is what I created:
After the party, when the shirt-dress could be worn on its own, I wanted to add a waistband. I used Dana's tutorial to do that. Very cute!


  1. What an awesome result! I love that you made the tulle skirt to wear over it for the party. I attempted that one, but I didn't do a very good job. I love the white blouse/dress - it makes you look at all your clothing so differently before it gets thrown out. You did such a creative job with the whole thing!

  2. Everything looks adorable!
    We'd love if you uploaded it to the flickr group!

    Your daughter is too, TOO adorable. LOVE those curls.

  3. that's adorable! i kinda want to wear it myself haha!