Sunday, March 22, 2009

"Salmon Fish" and Crackers

When I was a kid, one of my favorite lunch meals was tuna fish on crackers. I would make up the tuna fish in a little, brown, Tupperware bowl and open a roll of Ritz crackers...

I think my sister-in-law had a hunch I was pregnant long before others did when we went out to a long-awaited lobster dinner and I ordered salmon. Maine lobster is high in mercury and I am not one to take those kinds of risks. Tuna is in the same boat, no pun intended, and to this day I have not given any to Anastasia. Again, not worth the risk of mercury ingestion. Still, I have a hankering for tuna fish every now and then, so...

I came up with salmon fish. It's exactly the same, only you use a can of salmon instead of tuna. We still get the good omega 3 fatty acids for our brains, without the yucky mercury. Anastasia loves it, too, which is an added bonus. I use one can of salmon (wild caught from Alaska), a couple dollops of plain yogurt, a tablespoon of pickle relish, salt less season-all, and a squirt of mustard or Larrupin (delicious mustard dill sauce made in Humboldt County). Just bust out the crackers and eat it up!Despite the look on her face, she is loving this.

No comments:

Post a Comment