Wednesday, February 18, 2009

The only thing more important than what's on the table, is who's sitting around it.

The thought of this blog started with my friend, Hira, who is studying in Italy right now. This year, she resolved to document her dinner creations through photographs. I was immediately inspired and took a few lousy photos of what I cooked for dinner that night (I will spare you the photos, but I may share the recipes one day). It is part of the slow food movement, I guess (Hira, correct me on this one)--take time to savor and appreciate what you are eating. Food really is beautiful, a gift from Nature that we should not shovel into our mouths and then wonder what it tasted like. I suppose that is a big part of the reason that I am generally the last person sitting at the table. I like food. I like to eat. I don't want to rush through it; I really want to take the time to enjoy the flavors and appreciate the creativity of the chef. So, thank you, Hira, for reminding me of this. (**Note from Hira: Slow Food's manifesto is good, clean, fair food available to everyone. Good meaning taste wise, clean meaning sustainably grown, fair meaning all-including the animals-were treated and paid well in the process.)

Next, came my CSA delivery from Farm Fresh To You. I was reading the newsletter that comes with my bi-weekly delivery of organic fruits and vegetables. The newsletter contains recipes to try, using items from the box. This particular newsletter included a link to a blog by someone else who receives a box from the farm, called CSA Delivery. I was instantly hooked! I check the blog every day that I don't have a clue as to what to serve for dinner. They have recipes for the produce that is not often found in a recipe book or the grocery store, and for that I am truly thankful. They also have links to other folks in the CSA who blog about their recipe creations. One that I just checked out is A Boy's Life--she is also a mother (of said boy) and is smart enough to plan her meals for the week when her produce box arrives. I am not prepared to try that yet, but that is an organizational skill that impresses me and I will attempt some day!

I think the title of this post came from one of those blogs, but I honestly can't remember where I read it (I will give credit when I come across it again). It really resonates with what I am trying to accomplish for myself this year: doing what is best for my family; working to keep us all healthy; taking time to sit down together and enjoy a meal that I feel proud to serve; slowing down...

Join me.

No comments:

Post a Comment